Thursday, February 28, 2013

McKees Rocks and Stowe Township


This is a series of photographs documenting the historic architecture of McKees Rocks and Stowe Township.  McKees Rocks is a historic railroad town about three miles west of downtown Pittsburgh. While the town was settled as early as the 18th century, its greatest period of prosperity came with the opening of the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad in McKees Rocks in the 1880s. Many immigrants came to McKees Rocks during this time and worked in the various industries, including the Pressed Steel car plant.  Around the turn of the 20th century, the urban suburbs in Stowe Township sprang up and provided housing for workers, families, and gentry of the overcrowded and polluted industrial town.  

McKees Rocks and Stowe (Photo Collection Part I)
General photographic overview of McKees Rocks and Stowe, including photos of Island Avenue, historic industrial warehouses, West Park, and the Presston footbridge. 

McKees Rocks and Stowe (Photo Collection Part II)
Second part of a general photographic overview of McKees Rocks, including the P&LE Railroad, St. Mary's Cemetery, the Catherine Baker Knoll House, ethnic churches, and "The Bottoms" neighborhood.

The Bottoms: Surviving Historic Row Homes

Photographs documenting surviving workers' homes in "The Bottoms" neighborhood.

Presston 

The circa 1899 company town in Stowe Township.

West Park Business District

An early 20th century streetcar suburb in Stowe Township.

Views from the McKees Rocks Bridge


Oldest Buildings in McKees Rocks

Photographs documenting houses which may be among the oldest surviving structures in McKees Rocks.

Nelly Yost Murder House

The house where a famous McKees Rocks murder occurred. 

Olive Thomas in McKees Rocks

The homes where the silent film actress once lived. 

Saint Francis de Sales
Historic Irish Catholic Church. Built in 1899, closed in 1993. Currently vacant and deteriorating.

McKees Rocks and Stowe (Part II)

This is Part II of a series of photographs documenting McKees Rocks and Stowe Township.  McKees Rocks is a historic railroad town about three miles west of downtown Pittsburgh. While the town was settled as early as the 18th century, its greatest period of prosperity came with the opening of the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad in McKees Rocks in the 1880s. Many immigrants came to McKees Rocks during this time and worked in the various industries, including the Pressed Steel car plant.  Around the turn of the 20th century, the urban suburbs in Stowe Township sprang up and provided housing for workers, families, and gentry of the overcrowded and polluted industrial town.  


The old P&LE railyards, before most of the buildings were demolished in 2011.


St. Mary's Cemetery

View of McKees Rocks from St. Mary's Cemetery.


Catherine Baker Knoll House, Chartiers Avenue

St. Mary's Church on Church Avenue, built circa 1905.


McKees Rocks Post Office, built in 1927.




One of the surviving Victorian structures on Chartiers Avenue



331 Broadway Avenue

One of many vintage apartment buildings

Island Avenue apartment buildings

Business district in "The Bottoms," which is a neighborhood located in the shadow of the McKees Rocks Bridge.

St. Mary Ukrainian Church, built in 1923.

Kanai Funeral Home, built in 1925. 


One of many beautiful ethnic churches in The Bottoms, this is St. Nicholas Church, which was built circa 1914.


Dargate Auction Galleries, adaptive reuse of a historic church in "The Bottoms."







"1924"

Business district of "The Bottoms," on Ella Street


Ella Street

Ella Street




This house may be a rare survivor from before the P&LE Railroad boom years.







Overlooking Chartiers Avenue


Chartiers Avenue and Broadway

St. Mary's



Grand old home on Church Avenue
Island Avenue. Abadoned and Endangered. Available through the Allegheny Co. Vacant Property Recovery Program

Island Avenue. Abandoned and endangered. Available through the Allegheny Co. Vacant Property Recovery Program.

Island Avenue

Patterson Street. Abandoned and endangered. Available through the Allegheny Co. Vacant Property Recovery Program.

Island Avenue