Aliquippa, Pennsylvania was named after Queen Alliquippa, the leader of the Seneca tribe of Native Americans in the 18th century. The Jones and Laughlin Steel Company constructed a mill in Aliquippa in 1905, which brought prosperity to the town in the pre-WWII era. By the time of the depression, in 1930, the population was 27,000. The mill closed in the 1980s. This, along with suburbanization, brought an end to the prosperity of the town. Today, the population stands at only 9,438. Most of the buildings downtown are abandoned.